[R] computing distance in miles or km between 2 street addre

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Sep 7 03:26:27 CEST 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) wrote:

> [...]

some other contributions deleted here

> There are a number of free address geocoding sites on the web, some of
> which even support moderate amounts of batch geocoding for
> non-commercial purposes.  The following URL is just one of the available
> sites turned up by Googling "address geocoding free".  Of course, there
> are also a number of commercial sites.
>
> http://www.batchgeocode.com/
>
> Hope this is helpful,
>
> Dan

This and similar advice is helpful, but be aware that in thousands of
addresses your most likely problem is to be malformed addresses. Addresses
can be misspelt, not keyed in correctly or whatever.

Companies that do geocoding often will do address cleanup. The way one of
these companies works in New Zealand that I know of is that they run your
address database through some matching software. Generally it still has
unknown addresses. Then you can have the option of different levels of
hand matching of the problem addresses.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics