[R] Matlab's lsqnonlin

Jose Luis Aznarte M. jlaznarte at decsai.ugr.es
Fri Sep 7 20:34:45 CEST 2007

    Hi! I'm translating some code from Matlab to R and I found a problem.
    I need to translate Matlab's function 'lsqnonlin'
(http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/matlab/toolbox/optim/lsqnonlin.html) into R,
and at the beginning I  thought it would be the same as R's 'optim'. But
then I looked at the definition of 'lsqnonlin' and I don't quite see how
to make 'optim' to do the same thing. Does anyone have an idea?
    This is apart from the fact that I would like to use the Levenberg
Marquardt algorithm which is not implemented in R (some discussion about
this: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/00b/2492.html).
    Thank you! All the best,

Jose Luis Aznarte M.       http://decsai.ugr.es/~jlaznarte
Department of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
Universidad de Granada           Tel. +34 - 958 - 24 04 67
GRANADA (Spain)                  Fax: +34 - 958 - 24 00 79