[R] negative value for AIC and BIC

Mike Meredith mmeredith at wcs.org
Sat Sep 8 02:16:52 CEST 2007

Sure -2*log(x) can be negative, and it can outweigh the k*npar term. Just do:

curve(-2*log(x)+2, 0.1, 10)  # for AIC with npar = 1
abline(h=0, v=exp(1), lty=3)

However, that only happens for x > exp(1) or even bigger if npar > 1. I
think Olivier's real question is: do we believe in likelihoods > 1 ?

Cheers, Mike.