[R] Lisp-like primitives in R

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Sep 8 04:20:13 CEST 2007

[Roland Rau]
>[François Pinard]

>>I wonder what happened, for R to hide the underlying Scheme so fully,
>>at least at the level of the surface language (despite there are
>>hints).

>"To further foster portability, we chose to write R in ANSI C...."

Yes, of course.  Scheme is also (often) implemented in C.  I meant that
R might have implemented a Scheme engine (or part of a Scheme engine,
extended with appropriate data types) with a surface language (nearly
the S language) which is purposely not Scheme, but could have been.

If the gap is not extreme, one could dare dreaming that the Scheme
engine in R be "completed", and Scheme offered as an alternate extension
language.  If you allow me to continue dreaming awake -- "they" told me
"they" will let me free as long as I do not get dangerous! :-) -- part
of the interest lies in the fact there are excellent Scheme compilers.
If we could only find or devise some kind of marriage between a mature
Scheme and R, so to speed up the non-vectorisable parts of R scripts...

>If we are lucky and one of the original authors reads this thread they
>might explain the situation further and better [...].

In r-devel, maybe!  We would be lucky if the authors really had time to
read r-help. :-)

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca