[R] Matlab's lsqnonlin

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Sat Sep 8 13:23:08 CEST 2007

> I'm wondering about experiences:
> Do you know of cases where  minpack.lm's  nls.lm() solved a
> (real) problem that nls() would have a problem with ?

In short, no.  However, I looked at this question in the limited context
of fitting the parameters of a linear superposition of 2 exponentials with
Gaussian noise.  A simulation study showed nearly identical performance
for the range of parameter values/noise levels that are of practical
interest to us.

Are there problems for which steepest descent gets you in the neighborhood
of a solution whereas GN does not?  If such problems exist then there
would be reason to apply LM instead of GN, but I don't know of any.