[R] Problem in installing packages on linux machine...

tkobayas at indiana.edu tkobayas at indiana.edu
Sat Sep 8 21:01:47 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to install RSQLite package on my Fedora workstation. I
tried to install other packages as well, but each time I got the same
error messages saying "compilation error" and "non zero exit status".
Do I have to specify "lib="? I never specified the library path before
when I was using Fedora Core 6.

Warning in install.packages("RSQLite") : argument 'lib' is missing:
using '/usr/lib/R/library'
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/contrib/RSQLite_0.5-6.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 710241 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 693Kb

gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o RSQLite.so RS-DBI.o
RS-SQLite.o sqlite-all.o   -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so when
searching for -lR
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lR
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [RSQLite.so] Error 1
chmod: cannot access `/usr/lib/R/library/RSQLite/libs/*': No such file
or directory
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'RSQLite'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/RSQLite'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpHQ5Y7C/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
installation of package 'RSQLite' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages("RSQLite")

I appreciate your help.....

Thank you very much

Taka