[R] Problem in installing packages on linux machine...

Carsten Jaeger carsten_jaeger at web.de
Sun Sep 9 13:36:05 CEST 2007

Your problem is not related to missing file permissions but to a problem
with the linker (ld). As you can see from the error message, ld cannot
find a compatible libR.so so compilation fails. You did not specify
which architecture you're on but in case it is a 64-bit platform, the
following thread might be helpful:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/07/07/22071.html

BTW, the correct command for running R as root is "su -c R" or "sudo R".
Furthermore, lib is optional and defaults to .libPaths()[1],
see ?install.packages

'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/contrib/RSQLite_0.5-6.tar.gz'