[R] off-topic: better OS for statistical computing

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 01:26:26 CEST 2007

My sense is that R users are even split between UNIX and Windows
users so either will do in terms of the larger community.

Some R packages may not be avaliable on every platform or will
be available on one platform before another or there will be
certain platform-specific issues.  So in the end its easiest to
have the same thing everyone else that you work with does.

Also if you run into
problems then you can ask others whereas if you are the lone
person with something different you have no one to turn to.

Also associated software may be, for example, Microsoft Office in
a Microsoft environment and LaTeX in a UNIX environment. And
networking will be simplified in a consistent environment too.
Certainly there is Open Office, Samba and putty but the easiest
is just not to have to worry about getting everything to work
together by just having the same thing in the first place.

Neither Linux nor Windows is superior to the other.  People
making such representations generally know one much better
than the other and its more a reflection of their own experience
than anything else.  I personally have used both UNIX and
Windows since their inception and find that I tend to have a
slight preference for whatever I used last.  Technical merits of
one vs. the other are basically irrelevant for most purposes.