[R] Comparing regression models

Lucke, Joseph F Joseph.F.Lucke at uth.tmc.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:13:09 CEST 2007

The classic way to test for better fit with an additional variable is to use the anova() function.  The model must have the suspect variable listed last into your model.  The anova() function will give you the correct sequential decomposition of your model effects and their conditional (F or t) tests.  Check a regression text for the details.  (You should have done this already.)

I have never heard of comparing residuals using the t-test.  It makes no sense because the residuals have mean zero under either model.

The AIC is also valid, but my reading between your lines would indicate the anova test would be better.

JFL