[R] machine learning and horse racing

stephenc at ics.mq.edu.au stephenc at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Sep 17 21:55:07 CEST 2007

Hi

 I am trying to use various techniques (eg svm, logistic regression,
neural networks) to classify and predict the outcome of horse races.

 Most of my predictive features are categorical  - horse, jockey, trainer
- and I keep on running out of memory owing to the size of the vector.

 Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

 I have classified the outcomes as win/lose or place/lose with a view to
train on x years of results and then testing on the subsequent years
results. Is there some alternate way of looking at the problem?

 Does anyone have pointers to published work in this area?

 Thanks.

 Stephen