[R] Cox regression and p-values

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 18 18:56:54 CEST 2007

On 9/18/2007 12:41 PM, Daniel Brewer wrote:
> Hello,
> I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but I want to make sure I
> have a full understanding of this.  What I would like to know is what
> tests are performed to give the p-values for each variable in the table
> that is the result of coxph regression when the variables are
> categorical only.
>
> More specifically, when expected counts are less than 5 is the Fisher's
> exact test used instead of the Chi^2 test?

I think you need to check the reference (Anderson and Gill) or the
source to be sure, but I wouldn't expect either of those tests to be
used here.

I'd guess these are generalized likelihood ratio tests:  fit the model
with the variable, fit it without, and look at the difference in
(partial) log likelihood.  If the variable does not affect the response
then twice the difference in log likelihood would have an asymptotic
chi-square distribution.

Fisher's exact test and the Pearson chi-square test are not appropriate
here, because the individuals are not exchangeable under the null
hypothesis.

Duncan Murdoch