[R] warnings although R CMD check runs without any problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 17:30:47 CEST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Christian Kohler wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> as I am new to R, I would kindly like to ask for your help.
>
> I checked a package with the 'R CMD check' command and all worked out
> well, (only 'OK' status). Loading its vignette afterwards with
> 'source("package.Rcheck/inst/doc/vignette.R")' yields a message saying
> that several (well, in my case more than 50) warnings still exist and
> can be viewed via the 'warnings()' command.
>
> My question now is: why are there still warnings even though the check
> has been passed without any problems? Generally speaking, would it be

Because the check process does not consider R-level warnings in examples
or vignettes, only errors.  Only someone who understands the code will
know if the warnings are pedagogical, innocuous or serious.  No one says
that examples should not give warnings, and it may be helpful to
illustrate when they might occur.

> possible to submit this package e.g. to the Bioconductor project, even
> if these warnings still exist?

It is possible to submit it, and very likely that it would be acceptable.
Distributing a package with warnings you do not understand is not a good
idea, though.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk