[R] Superimposing vector polygons over raster grid in a plot

Rick Reeves reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 20 19:32:27 CEST 2007

Hello:

I would like to superimpose vector polygons (state outlines) from a
Shape file on top of a satellite image,
imported into a SpatialGridDataFrame from GEOTIFF via gdal_translate and
readGDAL.

When I plot polygon and point shape files in R, into
SpatialPointDataFrame and SpatialPolygonDataFrame,
the two feature sets line up geographically, so it seems logical that a
SpatialGridDataFrame should behave
in the same way.

 From my initial research, the spplot function is the correct function
for plotting grids/images with axes and
annotation.

The big question is, how do I incorporate a Spatial(Points or
Polygons)DataFrame into the spplot display list?

It seems as though many scientists would like to create such plots
without resorting to GRASS or
another GIS.

Thanks for any advice,
Rick Reeves

Rick Reeves
Scientific Programmer / Analyst
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
UC Santa Barbara
reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
www.nceas.ucsb.edu
805 892 2533