[R] nls fits by groups

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 17:17:07 CEST 2007

Check out the subset= argument to nls, e.g. to regress Sepal.Length
on Sepal.Width separately for each Species using the built in iris data set:

f <- function(s) nls(Sepal.Length ~ a*Sepal.Width, data = iris,
   start = c(a = 1), subset = iris$Species == s)
sapply(levels(iris$Species), f, simplify = FALSE)