[R] Plotting numbers at a specified decimal length on a plot()

Matthew Dubins matt.dubins at utoronto.ca
Sun Sep 23 19:50:06 CEST 2007

Hi there,

I want to figure out how to plot means, with 2 decimal places, of any Y
variable on a scatterplot according to any X variable (which obviously
should have limited scope).  I already figured out how to plot the
means, but without limiting their precision to 2 decimal places.  This
is the code I used once I had the scatterplot drawn:

text(c(1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003), 25,
mean.yrly.closures$values, cex=.7)

It's a plot of school closures by Year.  The closures variable is
labeled "values" in the "mean.yrly.closures" data set.  I managed to
*display* the mean.yrly.closures data set with a precision of 2 decimal
places (options(digits=2)), but then once I plotted the numbers, they
showed up with many decimal places.

It would be nice to figure this out so that I don't have to rely on
Excel to make changes to the precision!

Thanks,
Matthew Dubins