[R] Who uses R?

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 25 13:56:09 CEST 2007

--- Eleni Rapsomaniki
<e.rapsomaniki at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have started work in a Statistics government
> department and I am trying to
> convince my bosses to install R on our computers (I
> can't do proper stats in
> Excel!!).
> I would be really grateful for any advice on this.
> Also suggestions on arguments
> I could use to persuade them that R is so much
> better than Excel would be very
> much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
> Eleni Rapsomaniki

Here are some of the arguments for not using Excel (&
other spread sheets) for statistical analysis.

Problems With Using Microsoft Excel for Statistics
 Microsoft Excel for Statistics
http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jcryer/JSMTalk2001.pdf

Spread sheet addiction
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html
Using Excel for survey analysis ( by J. Cryer)
http://www.audiencedialogue.org/excel1.html
Is Microsoft Excel an Adequate Statistics Package?
http://www.practicalstats.com/Pages/excelstats.html

Use of Excel for Statistical Analysis
http://www.agresearch.co.nz/Science/Statistics/exceluse1.htm

Should Microsoft Excel Software Be Used For
Statistical Analysis Or Graphics? ( J. Cryer)
http://gcrc.ucsd.edu/biostatistics/Excel.pdf

Statistical analysis using Microsoft Excel
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~jsimonof/classes/1305/pdf/excelreg.pdf

Statistical flaws in Excel
http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~nhunt/pottel.pdf

NOTE X: USE OF EXCEL IN STATISTICS COURSES AND
LABORATORIES - SOME PROS AND CONS
http://www.daheiser.info/excel/notes/notex.pdf

Using Excel for Statistics :Tips and Warnings
http://www.reading.ac.uk/ssc/publications/guides/xfs.pdf

Doing statistics with a speadsheet -Perhaps not a good
idea? (J. Kane)
http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.stat.edu/browse_thread/thread/b2e6def39c6b8ef4/1f6bbe4e398a1e0d?q=John+Kane+Excel&rnum=1#1f6bbe4e398a1e0d