[R] finding a stable cluster for kmeans

Wiebke Timm wtimm at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Sep 26 02:16:05 CEST 2007

You might want to check if there is a neural gas algorithm in R.

kmeans generally has a high variance since it is very dependent on
the initialization. Neural gas overcomes this problem by using a
ranked list of neighbouring data points instead using data points
directly. It is more stable (at the cost of additional computational
time).