[R] SAS proc reg stepwise procedure in R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 09:21:34 CEST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Hans Ole Ørka wrote:

> I try to reproduce the SAS proc reg stepwise model selection procedure
> in R,

But why?  If you want 1950s statistical methods why not use a 1960s
package?  There are enough problems with stepwise selection (see e.g. the
book by Frank Harrell and many postings here) even with a well-defined
criterion like AIC, but that is better than an ad hoc algorithm,
especially one based on forwards selection.
For a flavour of Frank's views see

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/49353.html

Note that step() is stepwise by terms, not by variables.  If you have all
terms as single variables, package 'leaps' will provide a better algorithm
for choosing best subsets.  And in that case, step() is essentially the
same as using F tests with 'F to enter/leave' = 2 (and you can use
different 'k' to get different F limits).

If after further research you still want to do this in R, then R is a
fully fledged programming language and it is quite easy to modify step()
to use F tests, especially for single-variable terms.

> but the only function I found was "step" which select new
> variables based on AIC. The SAS procedure I use add a new variable to
> the model based on F statistics and a pre defined significant level.
> Then before any new variables are added variables in the model that not
> meet F statistics at the significant level will be removed. I have added
> the SAS syntax for those of familiar with both software packages.

So I gather 'the significant level' for dropping is in fact not 'the' one
used for adding?  This is essentially forwards selection.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk