[R] Cairo on windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Sep 27 19:49:34 CEST 2007

On 9/27/2007 1:11 PM, Moisan Yves wrote:
>> You could also try the cairoDevice package, which should definitely
>> work with the gtk libraries that you probably have from installing
>> GGobi.
>
> Hi Hadley,
>
> I tried that also before posting on R-help :
>
>> library(cairoDevice)
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>         impossible de charger la bibliothèque partagée 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library/cairoDevice/libs/cairoDevice.dll':
>   LoadLibrary failure:  La procédure spécifiée est introuvable.
>

> Erreur : le chargement du package / espace de noms a échoué pour 'cairoDevice'
>
> Translation : impossible to load shared library 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library/cairoDevice/libs/cairoDevice.dll'
>
> The library *is* at C:/Program Files/R/R-2.5.1/library/cairoDevice/libs so I'm wondering if the path mentioned in the error log is where 'library' is looking or if that path gets expanded (e.g. "PROGRA~1" becomes "Program Files").  I looked at library to see if I can supply it with a hard path where to find the dll but playing with libpath and lib.loc won't help.  Is that a matter of Cairo and cairoDevice not installing properly on Windows ?

Don't you also get a popup, telling you that libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll was
not found?  I get that; I assume it's supposed to come from gtk, which I
don't currently have installed.  It's unfortunate that the error message
isn't more informative about what the real problem is.  I'll see if
there's a way to improve it.

The dll also requires imports from

libpangocairo-1.0-0.dll
libpango-1.0-0.dll
libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll
libgobject-2.0-0.dll
libglib-2.0-0.dll
libcairo-2.dll
R.dll

The last one is present on my system; I don't know if the others are all
in gtk.

Duncan Murdoch