[R] ELF file OS ABI invalid yes?????

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Sep 28 11:26:20 CEST 2007

vittorio wrote:
> Compilation of MCMCpack under freebsd 6.2 i386 fails because of the following
> cryptic error:
>
> * Installing *source* package 'MCMCpack' ...
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... grep: error while
> invalid
> yes
> checking whether c++ accepts -g... grep: error while loading shared
> libraries: /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0: ELF file OS ABI invalid
> yes
>
> What should I do?

First check whether this has anything to do with R at all.

Does grep work from the command line? Looks like it is picking up a
shared library in /usr/local/lib, which is not valid.  Googling for the
error message ("yes" is not part of it) suggests that this happens if
you run something under Linux emulation but pick up a native BSD
library, which in turn suggest that your path to binaries and/or
libraries might be messed up. Does this ring any bells?