[R] Password-protect script files

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 11:45:00 CEST 2007

> Is there any way to password-protect script files (either within R or
> otherwise)?

The question seemed to me to be more about password protection against modification, rather than encryption.

I'd have thought this was something a decent OS could take care of. It seems as daft to try to get a stats package to manage security well as to get a security package to manage stats. Especially an open source research package!
Under Unix it's easy; mark the files read-only for users and read-write for 'r-editors' (or put them in a directory with those properties).
Under windows, stick the scripts in a shared folder with password-protected read-only access.

But better still, tie the whole lot up in a package and put the package under proper version control, so that users simply load the package and script editors act within formal change control. If you really want the stuff protected and encrypted as well, the package could decrypt on the fly as part of the function call (.

>>> Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at comcast.net> 26/09/2007 22:00:44 >>>
You might want to review this thread:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/94290/

which covers perhaps a similar concern.

You can ignore my first reply, which covers protecting all files by
encrypting an entire partition, not just the R code file.

If that is not helpful, we will need to gain further insight into your
functional requirements.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz