[R] Graphics and LaTeX documents with the same font

jiho jo.irisson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 16:16:48 CEST 2007

On 2007-September-28  , at 15:18 , Paul Smith wrote:
> On 9/28/07, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> I know how to export graphics as pdf files and then how to include
>>> them in LaTeX documents. However, I do not know how to do in
>>> order to
>>> have the text of the graphics written with the font selected for the
>>> LaTeX document. Is that possible?
>>
>> Well, it depends on what that font is.  But if it is TeX font,
>> see the section called 'TeX fonts' in ?postscript and the detailed
>> description in the article in R-news 6/2 by Paul Murrell and myself.
>>
>> If it is an Adobe Type1 font such as Times New Roman, just specify an
>> appropriate family in the pdf() call.
>>
>> Dietrich Trenkler wrote:
>>
>>> maybe you will find the psfrag package useful.
>>
>> I doubt it will be even usable with PDF (there are pdfrack and
>> Xfigfrag,
>> though), and with postscript it is at best a kludge as R does its own
>> micro-positioning of text based on the font metrics.
>
> Thanks to both. PSTricks
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSTricks
>
> draws figures that, when inserted in a LaTeX document, their font
> matches the one selected for the LaTeX document. If I may, I would
> like to submit to your consideration the suggestion of implementing
> the exportation of R graphics to PSTricks.

If you don't mind an extra step between R and LaTeX, you could use
Inkscape to modify your graphics:
	http://www.inkscape.org/
It is a (very nice!) vector graphics editor which:
- works with SVGs (as produced with the RSvgDevice package)
- imports PDFs (really well in the latest development version)
- is available for free, on most platforms
and
- exports PDFs that nicely integrate in LaTeX documents
- exports PSTricks graphics
Then two roads are opened for you:
1- either get a TTF version of the LaTeX fonts (there are packages
for this on all linux distros I know, for use with Lyx and you can
probably find them on the web otherwise) and change all the fonts to
those once your document is in Inkscape (select all > text and font >
select the font)
2- or open the document with inkscape and export it to pstricks

I personally use Inkscape on all my R graphics because I find it
easier and quicker to get decent graphics and R and refine their look
in Inkscape than to get them perfect in R in one shot ( though with
ggplot2 things are improving on R's side).

Cheers,

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/