[R] help with within subject modelling of experimental data

French, Chris Chris.French at mh.org.au
Sat Sep 29 14:02:31 CEST 2007

Dear R-project

I'm sure this is a very simple problem, but I've not been able to find a good example to guide me (and I'm very new to R).

I have been looking at time constants of inactivation (rate of turn-off) of sodium channel currents in neurons at 5 different potentials, looking to see if there is an overall significant differences between normal (wild-type) and a mutated form of sodium channel. I have ten WT and 10 mutant sets of data.

I gather that I should use within-subject modeling,and then use the unequal-variances t statistic to compare the means to look for a significant difference. I was wondering a) if this was the best procedure and b) how to do this in R

Many thanks

Chris French
Neurology
Royal Melbourne Hospital