[R] unexpected GAM result - at least for me!

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Wed Apr 2 13:30:14 CEST 2008

You may want to plot your smooth terms:

plot(can3.gam,residuals=TRUE,pch=1).

The 7 and 4 estimated degrees of freedom on the two middle terms can give
you a quite curvy smooth term, and you might overfit the data (as mentioned
before by somebody else). Also, you may want to look at the correlation
between the smoothing variables. Compute the correlation matrix as a first
step and plot each of the variables against the others, which better allows
you identifying nonlinear dependencies. If one of these relationships is
nearly perfect you may face serious issues due to multicollinearity.

I am sorry if I am doubling somebody's earlier response.

Cheers,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus