[R] restrictions for attribute access <Watchdog: Virus checked>

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 14:59:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Henrique Dallazuanna wrote:

> Work's for me:
>
> summary(lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), sleepstudy))@AICtab

I think the issue is that in his package he is not seeing the summary S4
generic from Matrix (which is the one lme4 sets methods on).  The package
needs to import summary() from Matrix (and not lme4).

Try

> library(lme4)
> find("summary")
[1] "package:Matrix" "package:base"

and remember that base namespace comes before the search path in a package
with a NAMESPACE.

Things get even more complicated if other S4-using packages are involved.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk