[R] Compile R code into exe

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 2 17:51:12 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, francogrex wrote:

> *I did some search before, I saw in the Nabbles forum one question about it
> but without replies*.
>
> I have a program written in R. For regulatory purposes I need to make exe
> program of it and distribute to some users (the reason they don't want that
> I provide the raw R code and that users run it on their R application is
> that they don't want users to somehow inadvertantly mess up the code,
> especially that very few have R installed and know how to work with it). I
> am not very good in writing in C++, so my question is there a way to
> directly compile an R code into an executable program without having to
> convert it to C or C++ first? Thanks.

Not exactly.

If you wish to keep ***inadvertant*** changes from being made, you could
put bundle everything in an R package, protect the core computations in
functions that are protected in the package namespace so the user can only
see wrapper functions, and provide a Windows binary. See Writing R
Extensions for info on namespaces.

Your users will still have to have R.

A devoted hacker will hardly be slowed down by this, but curious noobies
will be protected from themselves.

HTH,

Chuck