[R] coding for categorical variables with unequal observations

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Thu Apr 3 23:45:25 CEST 2008

You don't need to do anything special, and yes you can just let SAS do it for you.  For most of the regression PROCs you can put your categorical variables in a CLASS statement.  Depending on which procedure you are using, you may be able to specify whether you want effects or dummy coding, and which level of the categorical variable should be the "comparison" level.  It is also possible to use PROC GLMMOD to create your design variables to be fed into other PROCs.  Other approaches are possible as well.

If you provide more detail on what analyses you plan to undertake, someone may be able to provide more specific advice.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Research and Data Analysis