[R] ps or pdf

Tribo Laboy tribolaboy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 09:43:41 CEST 2008

>  The graphics devices are very similar (they share a lot of code).  One
>  small difference is that PostScript has an arc primitive, and PDF does
>  not.

Sorry for interjecting, but I have a burning question. It is a bit off
topic, so I apologize in advance.

What is the stance of the R Developers regarding this missing R
primitive in PDF? Because of the missing primitive all circles are
represented as "O" characters. I have run into problems when trying to
import R produced PDF plots into Inkscape for some additional post
processing and beautification. As a workaround I currently use the
Cairo device to export to PDF (and SVG). But this is a bit heavy. It
would be nice to be able to save Inkscape editable PDFs directly from
the plot window.

Some other far more important issues that could occur have been raised
in a past thread:
http://www.nabble.com/pdf%28%29-device-uses-fonts-to-represent-points---data-alteration--td13034770.html
For example the unintentional misrepresentation of data on the plot if
font substitution occurs and the points are shifted from their
original location.

Is this considered a bug or a feature?

Regards,
TL