[R] Reading an ArcGIS raster file

Martin Rittner kmr at thegeologician.net
Fri Apr 4 20:09:25 CEST 2008

I don't know too much about R myself, but a little about ArcGIS:

As far as I know, the .aux files ArcGIS produces do not hold the actual
data, but metadata. The actual file should have some other extension
(dat, tif, hgz, img, csv... many more), but with rather small datasets
the metadata may be larger than the actual data (thanks, ESRI!).

As for import of rasterdata in R: I only know of the image() function,
which gives an image as tabulated data (which then again may be
displayed colourcoded...). I'd be interested in importing rasterfiles
(in a defined resolution and scaling) myself (like for plotting
rasterfiles on a map), but haven't found a good solution yet (in R, that
is)...

If you'd have access to ArcGIS, I'd go the other way: let R calculate
some rasterdata, import it in the GIS and do the mapping there..?

Sorry I can't help you more, I'm rather new to R myself...
Martin