[R] predict.glm & newdata

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Fri Apr 4 21:02:24 CEST 2008

Hi,

could it be the "newdata" argument? When I run predict with the newdata
argument, I get an error message - a different one though. The second reason
might be that your dataset is named df, which is defined as a function an
may produce problems. Try renaming the dataset.

yhat=predict(reg1,newdata=x2)

x1=seq(1:100)
r.norm1=rnorm(100,0,20)
x1=r.norm1+x1

x2=x1*2
r.norm2=rnorm(200,0,20)
x2=r.norm2+x2

reg1=glm(y1~x1,binomial)
yhat=predict(reg1) 		     ##prediction works fine
yhat=predict(reg1,newdata=x2) ##gives error message because of "newdata"

>Error in eval(predvars, data, env) :
  numeric 'envir' arg not of length one

yhat=predict(reg1,data=x2) ##works fine

##using offset

ofst=rep(0.5,100)

reg1=glm(y1~x1,binomial,offset=ofst)
yhat=predict(reg1)
yhat1=predict(reg1,newdata=x2) ##gives error message
yhat2=predict(reg1,data=x2)      ##works fine

cuncta stricte discussurus