[R] Reading an ArcGIS raster file

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Apr 5 12:31:50 CEST 2008

Liviu Andronic <landronimirc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Martin Rittner <kmr <at> thegeologician.net>
wrote:
> > I don't know too much about R myself, but a little about ArcGIS:

Come on, please do use a little time to search! An RSiteSearch("Arc raster")
gets you lots of hits on the R-sig-geo list, which has searchable archives.

The Spatial task view on CRAN links to the R-sig-geo list, and to the Rgeo
website - it includes a section on "reading and writing spatial data", which
provides plenty of leads. Reading Arc rasters is most readily done using GDAL
drivers in the rgdal package, and once the raster has been accessed, it can
be analysed at will, including rasters that are too big for ArcGIS to
analyse (by using tiles).

> Doesn't grass [1] assure some kind of compatibility with ArcGIS, so as
> to provide you with a "readable" file? This page [2] may be of
> interest.

Grass 6 is interfaced with R using the spgrass6 package.

Roger