[R] Hex Decimal Convert

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 7 02:43:07 CEST 2008

Dear Edwin,

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 01:14:35 +0100
 Edwin Sendjaja <edwin7 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> Thank you.
>
> Is there any possibility to get original stored number printed.

R is a programming language, so you could in principle read an input
line as character data, break it into its components, and output each
component in whatever format you wished. That would require some work.
There might be a simpler approach, but I'm not aware of it.

> Because i have another coloum like:
>
> Protocol
> "TCP"

The previous example that you send consisted entirely of numeric data
and had only one line. Assuming that there are several lines, you could
read the data into a data frame via read.table() and exercise some
control over how each column is read. See ?read.table. You could then
deal separately with the columns.

> This is gonna cause probleme (as you notice before).

I'm afraid that I didn't notice since there was no character data in
your previous example.

> I dont really understand what you mean with a list. i am new with R.

It's probably unreasonable to expect to be able to use a programming
language without reading something about it. One place to start is with
the introductory manual distributed with R, which discusses lists in
Section 6.1. Alternatively, you could read one of a number of books on
R; many are listed at <http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html>.

Regards,
 John