[R] function for between-groups covariance matrix?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 08:24:31 CEST 2008

If this is a large dataset, you probably do not want the covariance matrix
but some decomposition of it.  What are you intending to do with it?

If you look at the code for MASS:::lda.default you will see how
discriminant analysis can be done more stably without ever computing the
covarinace matrix.

But if you need it, it is simple: form the group means (see lda.default)
and take their covariance (possibly weighted by group size, depending
which definition you are using).