[R] tcltk issue remains

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Apr 7 16:47:32 CEST 2008

On 4/7/2008 10:16 AM, Ingmar Visser wrote:
> Dear R-help,
>
> I'm trying to load the fGarch package and keep running into problems
> with tcltk:
>
> After succesfully instaling fGarch (and dependencies) I get:
>
>  >library(fGarch)
>
>   RUnit 0.4.17 loaded.
> display ":0"
> Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'tcltk'
> Error: package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
>
> Then, after checking the OSX faq, I get
>
>  >Sys.putenv("DISPLAY"=":0")
> Warning message:
> 'Sys.putenv' is deprecated.
> Use 'Sys.setenv' instead.
> See help("Deprecated")
>
> But the problem remains:
>
> Sys.setenv("DISPLAY"=":0")
>  > library(fGarch)
> display ":0"
> Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'tcltk'
> Error: package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
>
> I am not sure what the tcltk interface does and what I need it for ...
> Also, tcltk is not listed in the package list but tcltk2 is so I'm
> not sure which package is being loaded
> here?

tcltk is a base package, distributed with R.

> What can I do about this?

It may be as simple as starting X windows before you try to load tcltk.
On OSX, X isn't normally running, but the tcltk implementation used by R
requires it.  Try clicking on the X in the menu bar if you're using
R.app, or start R from an X terminal if you're used to the command line
version.

If that's not sufficient, I'd suggest asking on the R-sig-mac list,
where you'll find the real Mac experts, not just occasional users like me.

> Best, Ingmar
>
>  > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.1

I'm not sure how Apple version numbers work, but that one looks old:  it
may be that R 2.6.2 doesn't support it any more.

Duncan Murdoch