[R] How to pack my stuff into a package (library, collection)?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 8 01:16:42 CEST 2008

On 07/04/2008 11:51 AM, Tribo Laboy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
>> On 4/7/2008 9:33 AM, Tribo Laboy wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Duncan,
>>>

>>> Thanks for your reply. I checked the Rtools and the other relevant
>>> tools. I will most probably install them, although unwillingly.
>>> Unwillingly, because I like my current setup very much, which is a
>>> portable installation of R. I run it on the 5 different machines that
>>> I use and it is very easy to sync no mater where I install new or
>>> updated packages. I will probably have to designate one of the
>>> machines as a development machine and the others will be run-only, but
>>> this is very similar to compiled languages. Is there any way to set
>>> them up inside the main R directory structure, independent of the
>>> operating system, variables, etc.?
>>>
>>  I don't think it will ever be possible to share installed packages across
>> different platforms.  The issue is that the different operating systems have
>> different requirements for an installed package.  For example, Unix-alikes
>> have soft links and make use of them; Windows installs don't.  (Recent
>> Windows versions have something similar, but they are so rarely used that I
>> think it would be a bad idea to use them.)  There are also differences in
>> what functions are available in R in the different platforms (e.g. there's
>> no windows() graphics device except on Windows), and some packages may
>> install different things depending on the target platform.
>>
>>  So to do what you want to do, I'd suggest setting up a mini-repository for
>> source packages, and updating from there whenever necessary.
>>

>>> Once again, it would be very helpful to clarify what is it that is
>>> needed to run my R-files and what INSTALL does (I did ?INSTALL, but I
>>> am none the wiser).
>>>
>>  I think the best thing to do is to look at the source code.  The
>> documentation will necessarily be a little general and abstract; if you want
>> to know exactly what it does, just look.
>>

>>  As a user I can do without all the bells and
>>
>>> whistles of a HTML or chm-help and just some command line parsing of
>>> the Rd help files is just fine.
>>>
>>  I'm not sure what you mean by "command line parsing" of the help files, but
>> you can certainly set things up to avoid CHM help, and that makes package
>> installation easier on Windows.  I am inclined to make HTML help the default
>> in 2.8.0, so that by default you won't need the CHM compiler:  but that
>> won't be until the fall, and there may be objections to the change.

I took a look at this today.  You get an error message but the package
is still installed without the CHM compiler, so that's less urgent.

I did add a menu entry to install a source package from a directory:

Packages | Install source package from local folder...

to the alpha version.  I don't guarantee this will survive testing:  it
gives a fairly ugly error message if you don't have Rtools installed.

Duncan Murdoch