[R] pie graphic

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Apr 8 10:29:12 CEST 2008

Marco Chiapello wrote:
> Hi,
> My problem is:
> I have many data to plot as pie-chart, so the labels are not readable!
> Is there a way to solve my problem? For example is it possible move the
> labels more far to the graphic?

Hi Marco,
The essence of a pie chart is simplicity. You can do what you want with
floating.pie and pie.labels from the plotrix package, but the result may
not be as informative as it could be. If you are interested in showing
the differences between your quantities, fan.plot is a better bet,
although if "many" is more than about ten, you will be stretching that
one, too. Bar plots are better at displaying large numbers of
quantities, and are usually well tolerated by audiences.

Jim