[R] plotmath "overstrikes" in output on a Linux system

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 11:29:06 CEST 2008

Looks likes the the laptop is using different fonts with incorrect font
metrics.  This could happen because it has a different screen resolution,
or one of the systems is set to use scalable fonts or it is giving
metrics for one fonts and using another or ....

BTW, this is probably nothing to do with plotmath per se -- the issue is
most likely the device (presumably X11(), but you did not say) and its
handling of font metric requests.  It looks to me as if the widths of
normal text strings (and not symbols) is the problem.  I have seen
something similar where there was a long-standing bug in plotmath (fixed
in r44534), but this only manifested itself when text was kerned, which
the X11() device in 2.6.2 does not ask for.

My best guess is that the font selected is (to use the technical terms)
returning glyph widths without left/right bearings.

Please try 2.7.0 beta, which has a different X11() device (and the above
bug fixed).  That ought to solve the problem for you, but otherwise you'll
need to debug what the X11 metricInfo callback is giving you.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk