[R] Skipping specified rows in scan or read.table

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 9 21:43:26 CEST 2008

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Ravi Varadhan wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a data file, certain lines of which are character fields.  I would
> like to skip these rows, and read the data file as a numeric data frame.  I
> know that I can skip lines at the beginning with read.table and scan, but is
> there a way to skip a specified sequence of lines (e.g., 1, 2, 10, 11, 19,
> 20, 28, 29, etc.) ?

Not within scan, but you can do it within the connection that scan reads.

If the file is small, just read it all with readLines, select the lines
you want (mydata[-c(1,2,10,11...)]) and use that as the input to a
textConnection.  If it is large, read a line at a time, discard when it is
one to be skipped otherwise write to an anonymous file() connection.  Then
read.table on the anonymous connection.

Or use perl/awk within a pipe() connection.

> If I read the entire data file, and then delete the character fields, the
> values are still kept as factors, with each value denoted by its level.
> Since, I have continuous variables, there are as many levels as there are
> values.  I am unable to coerce this to "numeric" mode.  Is there a way to do
> this so that I can then manipulate the numeric data frame?

Why does FAQ Q7.10 not apply?