[R] rgl build warnings and loading error on Linux

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:05:33 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>  I've never seen that.  Is there something unusual about the filesystem so
> it does not recognize rgl/configure is executable?  (We've seen that on SMB
> filesystems with the wrong mount options.)

In /etc/fstab, I have the following.
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs
defaults,size=100M,mode=1777,noexec,nosuid 0 0

Mounting /tmp with "noexec" is a security measure, since /tmp may
easily become a vulnerable spot on a Linux system.

>  What I suggest you try is
>
>  - unpack the rgl tarball.
>  - cd rgl
>  - R CMD ./configure
>  - cd ..
>  - R CMD INSTALL rgl

Running "R CMD INSTALL rgl" from my reiserfs / partition was enough
for the ./configure script to get executed and for rgl to build
properly [1]. Now I can dyn.load() rgl with no error messages,
although it is somewhat crashy. I will report here if I get any
meaningful error messages.

Thanks goes to all who contributed with their suggestions.
Best regards,
Liviu

[1] http://www.geocities.com/landroni/rgl_build_02.txt