[R] R_alloc vs. malloc

Søren Højsgaard Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk
Fri Apr 11 12:49:09 CEST 2008

Dear list
I have two (trivial) memory-questions related to a call with .C:

If I allocate memory with R_alloc in a C-program (called with .C), will that memory "be taken from" the "available memory pool" (of a maximum of 4gb?) which R can allocate? (This is the impression I get from "Writing R extensions".)

If instead I use malloc; will that memory then be taken from the available pool for R? Or does that happen without having an impact on R's "available memory pool"?

Regards
Søren