[R] import user-defined missings

toater at gmx.net toater at gmx.net
Fri Apr 11 13:50:02 CEST 2008

Hi,

How can I import user-defined missings from Spss?

It works for me to import spss datasets via library(foreign) with read.spss or via library Hmisc by (spss.get).
But no matter which way I do import the data, user-defined missings from Spss are always lost.
(it makes no difference if  there are a single value, a range, or any combination of them. They are always ignored).
Is there any way in R to find out if any value was user-defined missing in Spss or not?
Even to keep the information as an attribute would suit me fine, or to keep them as a string character like "miss" would be even better.
To transform them into "NA" as the sysmis data from Spss is transformed automatically, would be an other alternative.

Unfortunately I don't know if any of these options are possible. Could you help me out?

Many thanks.
Christine Christmann