[R] [R-SIG-Mac] language

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Tue Apr 15 12:19:19 CEST 2008

Thanks.

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Which messages?  R.app and R itself handle this differently for their
> messages.
>
> You will find a discussion in the 'R Installation and Administration'
> manual.  You don't give an address, but I suspect you are in a
> Spanish-speaking locale.  I believe the Mac OS port of R uses the
> stanard libintl from the R sources, in which case you can read for
> yourself how libintl determines the message language in the
> src/extra/intl directory.

The cited discussion is useful even though the topic is still difficult
for me. I am in Spain and in a Spanish locale. Mac preferences take care
of it. By changing it to, for instance, an UK one together with English
as language, shows all messages in English. As far as I can read in the
manual, it is possible to overwrite the O.S. settings with startup
options. I will try to do that after studying the documentation.

There is still another problem related with fonts that is making me
nuts: are fonts used for quartz() output independent from locale and
language settings? For instances, any á, é, í or whatever accented vowel
or ñ prevents the string containing this character for being rendered,
for instance, in the labels of a barplot.

Please, could you give me a path to solve this issue?

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Ricardo

--