[R] plotmath "overstrikes" in output on a Linux system

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:17:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:29 AM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>  > Looks likes the the laptop is using different fonts with incorrect font
>  > metrics.  This could happen because it has a different screen resolution, or
>  > one of the systems is set to use scalable fonts or it is giving metrics for
>  > one fonts and using another or ....
>  >

I found a fix for the funny font overlaps, and it was quite by
accident. In case there are other Fedora users for whom this might
appear, I would like to close the thread with this. In the livna
repository, there is a package called

freetype-freeworld-2.3.5-3.lvn8

After installing that, the fonts on screen are fine.  I do not
understand exactly why this works, or why freetype-freeworld is not in
the freetype distribution all along.  The package is described thusly,
and you will notice it has the same magic words that Professor Ripley
used--hints and glyphs:

$ rpm -qi freetype-freeworld
Name        : freetype-freeworld           Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.3.5                             Vendor: rpm.livna.org
Release     : 3.lvn8                        Build Date: Tue 18 Sep
2007 10:28:30 AM CDT
Install Date: Sun 13 Apr 2008 11:16:45 PM CDT      Build Host:
plague-builder.livna.org
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
freetype-freeworld-2.3.5-3.lvn8.src.rpm
Size        : 685309                           License: FTL or GPLv2+
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 22 Sep 2007 10:23:19 AM CDT, Key ID 71295441a109b1ec
Packager    : rpm.livna.org <http://bugzilla.livna.org>
URL         : http://www.freetype.org
Summary     : A free and portable font rendering engine
Description :
The FreeType engine is a free and portable font rendering
engine, developed to provide advanced font support for a variety of
platforms and environments. FreeType is a library which can open and
manages font files as well as efficiently load, hint and render
individual glyphs. FreeType is not a font server or a complete
text-rendering library.

This version is compiled with the patented bytecode interpreter and subpixel
rendering enabled. It transparently overrides the system library using
ld.so.conf.d.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science