[R] sign(<permutation>) in R ?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Apr 15 20:56:26 CEST 2008

Martin Maechler wrote:
> Ok,
> thanks a lot, everyone!
>
> Yes, I should rather have started thinking a bit more myself,
> before going the easy route to R-help....
>
> Anyway, the most obvious algorithm,
> just putting things into place by swapping elements,
> and counting how many times you have to swap, is easy and
> quite efficient.
>
> I'll post R code later, being busy for the next few hours.
> Martin

It is also quite easy to generate the cycles explicitly by a marking
algorithm:

p <- sample(1:100)
x <- integer(100)
for (i in 1:100) {
    z <- which(!x)[1]
    if (is.na(z)) break
    repeat {
        x[z] <- i
        z <- p[z]
        if (x[z]) break
    }
}
table(x)

(the which(!x)[1] bit could be optimized somewhat if this had been C.
Notice that the loop is essentially O(N) because every iteration marks
one element of x)