[R] Brown-Forsythe F* Statistic

Paul Lynch plynchnlm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 07:28:16 CEST 2008

I've been searching around for a function for computing the
Brown-Forsythe F* statistic which is a substitute for the normal ANOVA
F statistic for when there are unequal variances, and when there is
evidence of non-normality.  A couple of other people have asked this
question, the responses I found have been:

    ?oneway.test

However, that function appears to use the Welch W statistic which,
while good at handling unequal variances, is not as good as F* at
handling non-normal distributions (or so my textbook tells me).  So,
two questions:

   1) Is there a function ready to use for calculating the Brown-Forsythe F*?

   2) If not, what do people use for checking the results of a
(one-way) ANOVA when there is non-normality as well as non-constant
variances?

Thanks,
      --Paul

--