[R] Blank windows in Rcmdr

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 16:45:05 CEST 2008

John Fox wrote:
> Dear Fehmi,
>
> Curiously, I check the Rcmdr package on an up-to-date Ubuntu 7.10
> system running R 2.6.2. I've just checked again after updating both
> Ubuntu and all R packages, and I can't duplicate your problem -- the
> "Tools -> Load packages" menu works fine for me, as does everything
> else that I checked.
>
> Perhaps other Ubuntu users can relate their experiences: Do they
> encounter this problem, or does the Rcmdr seem to work. If the former,
> I guess that there must be something peculiar about your system.

  It's hard to tell exactly what the original poster is seeing without a
screenshot, but there are occasional problems with Composition Window
Managers (such as Compiz) that can produce all-black windows - I think
it's when the graphics card runs low on memory or something. Google for
'ubuntu black window problem' for more.

  Try switching off 3d-effects or getting a new video card if you really
want 3d effects. I've got a Geforce FX 5200 in my Ubuntu box and I don't
see the black windows that I used to get with my Geforce MX440 card.

  Note this is not an R or Rcmdr problem - it happens with all sorts of
applications. I used to get it mostly when starting OpenOffice or
AcrobatReader, or Emacs. It's possible that recent Ubuntu upgrades or
new graphics card drivers could have fixed it. Are you up to date?

  Or the original problem could be something else!

Barry