[R] What objects will save.image saves ? And how to specify objects to be saved..

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Wed Apr 16 19:55:58 CEST 2008

save.image() is a wrapper for save() (Type 'save.image' (without quotes) at the prompt to see the code for the function.)

Try something like this (not tested):

> load("oldvars.RData")
> old.vars <- ls(all=TRUE)
> ... computation ...
> save(list=setdiff(ls(all=TRUE), old.vars), file="newvars.RData")

You can play with the args (pattern= & all=) of ls() to select which vars you are interested in.  If your computations might change some of the existing variables, and you want to save those at the end too, you'll probably have to keep track of those manually.

AFAIK, it's not possible to add some new vars to an existing .RData file -- that's why I wrote the above to save them in a .RData file that's different to the one that contained the old variables.

-- Tony Plate