[R] Meaning of /, :, and %in% in lmer

Claus Wilke cwilke at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 16 21:51:20 CEST 2008

Hello,

I asked this question a little while ago (
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-April/158761.html ) but got no
response. Can anybody explain to me the difference between /, :, and %in% in
the definition of random effects in lmer, such as:
(1|A/B), (1|A:B), (1|B %in% A)?

My understanding is that (1|A/B) is the same as (1|A) + (1|A:B), but I have
not seen this stated explicitly anywhere. And I don't understand why (1|A/B)
seems to be different from (1|A) + (1|B %in% A), isn't that what %in% means?

Thanks a lot for your help,
  Claus Wilke
--
Claus Wilke