[R] CRAN packages hosting policy

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Apr 17 18:26:26 CEST 2008

Julien Barnier wrote:

>Hi to all,
>
>I recently created a small package which contains some simple R
>functions in order to help students in my research unit to use R. The
>package is pure R, it passes R CMD check, but it is really designed
>for internal use and, moreover, it is entirely documented in french.
>
>Is it possible to upload and to host this kind of package to CRAN ? Or
>is it better, as it is quite a private tool and not really designed
>for widespread adoption, to set up my own repository ?
>
>Thanks in advance,

Hi Julien,

I would not pretend that I know anything about the hosting policy on
CRAN. However, another place where you could try and host your package
is R-Forge (though you might have to ask them the same question):
https://r-forge.r-project.org/
Among other things, you can manage your sources via svn, and install the
package directly from their server. And do many other terrific things,
like bug-tracking, mailing-lists, forums, etc.

Hope this will help.

Best regards,

Thibaut.

--