[R] R CMD check <PACKAGE> Error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 18 16:35:12 CEST 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Johannes Graumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me a hint on what's wrong if "R CMD check <PACKAGE>" gives
> me this error:
>
>        Rd files with unknown encoding:
>          <FILENAME>.Rd
>
> I have checked that file over and over and can't find any weired characters
> or some such.
> How can I fix this?

Remove the non-ASCII characters, or declare an encoding.

You didn't tell us your OS -- one good way I find on Linux to spot such
characters is to use 'less 'in the C locale.  Another is something like
(in R)

foo <- readLines("foo.Rd")
foo2 <- iconv(foo, "", "ASCII", sub="byte")
foo2[foo2 != foo]

which should show the line(s) concerned with non-ASCII characters
highlighted as <xx>.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk